Caldwell embarrassed by FA Cup exit – Bury 4 Wigan Athletic 0

Wigan manager Gary Caldwell

Gary Caldwell embarrassed by Wigan’s FA Cup exit

Wigan manager Gary Caldwell apologised to the fans after his team crashed out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle 4-0 to Bury.

Caldwell told the media that it was the lowest point he’d had as a manager. He said: “I’m embarrassed and I apologise to the fans. I’d have made 11 changes at HT and 3 more in the second half if I could.”

Wigan started well, but after a mistake by keeper Richard O’Donnell gifted the Shakers the lead, the performance went rapidly downhill and they were 3-0 down by half time with goals by Danny Mayor and Nathan Cameron.

Former Wigan loanee Leon Clarke completed the rout in the 65th minute to further rub salt into the wound.

Latics were FA Cup winners in 2013 but the current team showed little of the determination, quality and skill demonstrated by the cup winning team.

Caldwell made four changes to the team which defeated Swindon Town with Richard O’Donnell, Craig Davies, Francisco Junior and Haris Vuckic replacing Jussi Jaaskelainen, Max Power, Michael Jacobs and Yanic Wildschut.

Latics started on the front foot and controlling possession, but after 18 minutes they fell behind following a major blunder by keeper Richard O’Donnell.

Chris Hussey crossed and Tom Pope made contact, but it appeared an easy save for O’Donnell, but the ball somehow squirmed from his hands, hitting the post then crossing the line via the back of the keeper’s head.

It was a hugely disappointing mistake for O’Donnell as he was only returning to the starting line-up after Jussi Jaaskelainen was rested for the Cup tie.

It was not long before Latics went two behind. As they pressed for an equaliser the Shakers broke away and finished clinically.

Jacob Mellis dispossessed Francisco Junior on the edge of the Bury box and he sprinted the full length of the pitch and set up Mayor who fired home inside the near post.

Latics were all at sea and had no answer to Bury’s physical presence and quick counter attacks. The Wigan defence struggled to cope with crosses into the area and it looked only a matter of time before Bury would add to their lead.

Just on the stroke of half time the Shakers made it three from another cross into the box.

Nathan Cameron heading home at the back post following a deep cross from the left hand side.

Latics were in complete disarray and Caldwell made two changes at the interval with Haris Vuckic and Will Grigg replaced by Yanic Wildschut and Michael Jacobs.

The Shakers dominance continued however and O’Donnell had to save low down from Hussey’s free-kick.

Latics might have pulled a goal back in the 57th when Wildschut found Junior on the edge of the box but neither Junior or Jacobs could make the finish and the ball was deflected off Cameron for a corner.

Max Power came on for Junior on 60 minutes and Leon Clarke came on for Bury.

Five minutes later Clarke made it four for Bury as he stooped to head past O’Donnell from close range.

Latics huffed and puffed to try to grab a late consolation but they rarely threatened the Shakers keeper Bachmann who had a relatively untroubled afternoon.

About ianhaspinall

Communications specialist, Wigan Athletic fan & blogger, interested in music, arts & culture.
This entry was posted in Bury, Danny Mayer, FA Cup, Leon Clarke, Nathan Cameron, Tom Pope, Wigan Athletic and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.