Latics cruise into JPT Northern semi-final – Wigan Athletic 4 Blackpool 0

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

Johnstone’s Paint Trophy

Latics progressed into the Northern semi-final of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy with an emphatic 4-0 victory over Blackpool.

Two goals by Jordi Hiwula and one each for Sean Murray and Yanic Wildschut enabled Latics to move within three games of another Wembley final.

Blackpool offered very little opposition in a very one-sided match which Wigan might easily have won by six or seven goals.

Gary Caldwell made ten changes to the team beaten at Bury in the FA Cup. Only Craig Davies kept his place from Saturday, with Jussi Jaaskelainen replacing Richard O’Donnell between the sticks.

Tim Chow and Jordan Flores made a return to the starting line up alongside vice captain Jason Pearce who was coming back from injury.

After a rather disjointed opening to the game it was Blackpool who had the first chance through Bright Osayi-Samuel. The forward evaded the Latics defence and fired narrowly wide of Jaaskelainen’s goal.

Latics then tested Kyle Letheren through Jordy Hiwula, who forced a good save from the Seasiders keeper with his low shot.

Leon Barnett then had an effort cleared off the line by a Pool defender.

But it was not long before Latics went ahead, on 20 minutes, through the lively Hiwula. The Huddersfield loanee striker was fed by Don Cowie, and he made no mistake by hammering the ball past Letheren and into the left hand corner of the net.

The home team were soon creating more chances and Craig Davies twice and Hiwula had great opportunities to increase the advantage before the interval.

Wigan continued where they had left off at the beginning of the second half and Hiwula had the ball in the net in the first five minutes but was it was adjudged to be offside.

Latics then had a short period when they took their foot off the pedal and with the score only 1-0, the visitors threatened with their best chance of the night.

Jaaskelainen was forced into an excellent save low down to deny Jarrett Rivers at the near post on 56 minutes.

But on 63 minutes Latics doubled their lead through a superb Sean Murray strike.

The Watford loanee took aim from 25 yards and thumped the ball into the right hand corner past a despairing Letheren.

The introduction of substitute Yanic Wildschut was well received by the home fans and the Dutchman had an immediate impact.

After only a couple of minutes on the pitch, the winger powered into the penalty area and blasted the ball high into the top right hand corner nearly bursting the net in the process.

It was not long before Latics made it four. Hiwula won a penalty after rounding Letheren and seeing his effort handled by a Seasiders defender in the box.

The young forward stepped up to take the spot-kick and coolly converted the penalty past substitute keeper Myles Boney.

Latics should have added more goals to their tally as the Seasiders were now well beaten.

Hiwula could have had a hat-trick after a Donervon Daniels’ mis kick found him in space inside the area but his first-time effort flashed over the crossbar.

Wildschut continued to torment the Seasiders back line in the dying minutes of the game and it was something of a surprise that he did not manage add to his one goal.

Latics ran out very comfortable winners and will now face either Barnsley, Fleetwood or Morecambe in the Northern semi-final.

About ianhaspinall

Communications specialist, Wigan Athletic fan & blogger, interested in music, arts & culture.
This entry was posted in Blackpool, Johnstone's Paint Trophy, Sean Murray, Wigan Athletic, Yanic Wildschut and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.