Latics show quality in depth – Scunthorpe United 1 Wigan Athletic 2

Scuntorpe away.jpg

Scunthorpe defend a Wigan corner

Wigan Athletic showed the quality of their squad with an important 2-1 win at last season’s play-off contenders Scunthorpe United.

Latics were without captain Sam Morsy, who was away on international duty with Egypt, and in-form midfielder Michael Jacobs at Glandford Park but they still produced another impressive performance.

After an even first-half Dan Burn gave Latics the lead after the break with a fine turn and powerful finish from eight yards out.

Latics were reduced to ten men on 57 minutes when Lee Evans motioned to head butt Funso Ojo after he had been fouled.

But despite the setback Latics went two ahead on 74 minutes when Jamie Jones route one goal kick was misjudged by Rory McArdle and Nick Powell nipped in front to finish from the corner of the six yard box.

The Iron pulled a goal back through Ojo on 90 minutes and despite five minutes of added time Latics held on to record their sixth win in their last seven matches.

Without Morsy and Jacobs, Max Power and Gary Roberts came into the team which had defeated Walsall.

As per usual under Paul Cook, Latics started on the front foot and Nick Powell was involved in most of their best moves.

Powell went closest early on when he headed Callum Elder’s cross into the side-netting.

Latics had a scare on the half-hour mark however when McArdle’s header looped over keeper Jones but acting captain Dan Burn made an acrobatic goal line clearance to save the day.

Latics were still pressing though and might have gone ahead when Chey Dunkley headed Lee Evans’ free-kick just wide of the target.

A neat interchange between Powell and Grigg then set up Gavin Massey who fired his shot narrowly wide of Matt Gilks’ left-hand post.

All square at the interval but Latics looked much sharper at the beginning of the second- half.

They went ahead on 54 minutes, when following a corner Burn turned superbly in the box and smashed an unstoppable shot past Gilks.

Latics looked set to go on and add to their lead but they suffered a setback when Lee Evans was dismissed for retaliation after being fouled by Funso Ojo. It was a silly mistake by Evans and it could have proved costly.

Despite being down to 10-men Latics continued to play good football and might have increased their lead but Dunkley’s header was cleared off the line by Kevin van Veen.

At the other end Sam Mantom then forced a good save from Jones.

But it was Latics who increased their lead on 74 minutes when a route one goal kick from Jones evaded McArdle and Powell showed great composure to score from just outside the six yard box.

Powell was soon withdrawn and replaced by Ivan Toney as Latics looked to see the game out.

But as the game progressed they sat deeper and deeper and invited pressure from Scunthorpe which resulted in Ojo pulling a goal back on 90 minutes.

It was a nervous period for Latics as the Iron pressed for an equaliser, but they deservedly held on to secure the three points and close the gap to just two points on League One leaders Shrewsbury.

About ianhaspinall

Communications specialist, Wigan Athletic fan & blogger, interested in music, arts & culture.
This entry was posted in Dan Burn, Funso Ojo, League One, Nick Powell, Scunthorpe United, Wigan Athletic and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.