Promise of good times ahead as Wigan rout Bury – Wigan Athletic 4 Bury 1


Nick Powell at the double

Latics demonstrated their promotion credentials with a confident 4-1 victory against local rivals Bury.

Former Manchester United midfielder Nick Powell grabbed a brace as Latics maintained their good start to the League One campaign.

The home team produced some slick attacking football and went ahead when Michael Jacobs turned in Powell’s cross but Bury responded through new signing Alex Bruce’s diving header.

Powell restored the lead when he headed home a superb Lee Evans cross and then made it 3-1 from the spot after Ivan Toney was brought down in the area.

Evans made it 4-1 with a blistering drive but it could easily have been five or six as Latics produced some superb free flowing football to dominate the second half.

Latics had started brightly with Powell firing narrowly wide after only two minutes.

Then a free flowing move involving Powell and Michael Jacobs saw Reece James’ cross well saved by Joe Murphy at the near post.

But it was not long before Latics went ahead with another neat interchange between the strikers.

Ivan Toney flicked a ball on to Powell who set up Jacobs in the box and he converted with aplomb.

But within two minutes The Shakers stunned the home crowd by drawing level. Zeli Ismail’s corner was met by Alex Bruce’s diving header and Bury had a foothold in the game.

The Shakers briefly threatened through Harry Bunn and then Tom Aldred but Latics were soon back in the ascendancy.

James breaking down the left found Powell at the far post but he was unable to get his header on target.

Powell then went close from a Jacobs corner but his effort at the far post was well saved by Murphy.

Murphy then came to the rescue again when he saved at close range from Chey Dunkley following Evans’ corner.

The teams went into the interval level, but Latics commenced the second half like the first creating chances right from the kick off.

Gavin Massey nearly got on the end of a deep cross by Evans and then again went close on 50 minutes when he couldn’t quite connect with Toney’s cross from the right.

Latics regained the lead on 53 minutes when Powell calmly headed home Evans’ inch perfect cross from six yards out.

The home team grew in confidence and were now creating even more problems for the Bury back line.

Latics were camped around the Bury box and on 63 minutes Aldred pushed Toney to the floor to give away a penalty.

Powell in typically confident fashion despatched the spot kick straight down the middle to make it 3-1.

After a few feisty challenges on Powell and a booking for retaliation the Man of the Match was withdrawn and replaced by Alex Gilbey. Ryan Colclough also coming on for the tiring Massey.

On 84 minutes Will Grigg replaced Toney and the striker should have added a 4th goal in the 87th minute. He expertly let the ball run across his body in the penalty area and fired a rising shot just over the cross bar. Gilbey then forced Murphy into a full length save tipping his shot around the post.

Latics had been rampant in the second half, Jacobs producing a particularly dazzling run turning several Bury defenders inside out, but unfortunately the final effort was blocked.

Grigg did have another opportunity but was unable to react inside the six yard box. However, on 92 minutes Evans unleashed a blistering 25 yard strike to put the seal on a thoroughly convincing victory.



About ianhaspinall

Communications specialist, Wigan Athletic fan & blogger, interested in music, arts & culture.
This entry was posted in Alex Bruce, Bury, League One, Lee Evans, Michael Jacobs, Nick Powell, Wigan Athletic and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.