When Saturday Comes magazine have once again asked for my views on Latics’ prospects for the forthcoming season so I thought I’d also record my responses here.
1. Realistically, how will you do?
The last time we were in the Championship we had a disastrous season under Warren Joyce but I’d like to think that with Paul Cook in charge and some astute signings we can establish ourselves in the division and finish around mid-table.
2. Which teams did you like and dislike most last season?
Liked Shrewsbury who pushed us for most of the season on limited resources. Disliked Portsmouth who seemed bitter about Paul Cook and obsessed with our crowd size and Blackburn who prematurely thought they had won League One.
3. What was the best moment of last season?
So many great moments: taking the scalps of three Premier League clubs AFC Bournemouth, West Ham United and to top it all Premier League champions Manchester City in the FA Cup; Clinching promotion at Fleetwood and sealing the title at Doncaster on the final day.
4. What was the worst moment of last season?
Probably losing at home to Blackpool, which had followed another defeat at Southend was the most worrying time.
5. Other than winning matches, what single act would make your club more popular with your fans?
Kicking the rugby club out of the DW Stadium would be the popular choice but if that’s not going to happen then some safe standing would be well received.
6. We’d like your prediction for next season’s League table.
1. West Brom
2. Aston Villa
8. Sheffield Utd
9. Bristol City
10. Sheffield W
17. Hull City
The full WSC pre-season guide for 2018/19 is now available at your local newsagents.