The Addicks frustrate the Latics – Wigan Athletic 0 Charlton Athletic 0


Sam Morsy went close in added time

Charlton secured a surprising 0-0 draw at the league leaders with backs to the wall defending at the DW Stadium.

Latics had good chances to secure the three points through Will Grigg, Nick Powell and Sam Morsy but overall they lacked the guile and creativity to breakdown a stubborn Charlton team.

The Addicks might even have secured an unlikely victory with some good breakaway chances from Karlan Ahearne-Grant.

After dominating for long periods Latics will ultimately feel it was two points dropped in their pursuit of automatic promotion.

Callum Elder replacing Reece James was the only change from the team which had drawn with Shrewsbury Town on Boxing Day.

In a disappointing first half Latics struggled to build any momentum and the chances were few and far between.

The first real opening came in the 21st minute when Lee Evans’ excellent cross found Grigg in the centre of the box but the striker’s header narrowly cleared the angle of post and crossbar.

Latics next real opportunity came in added time in the first half when a Powell volley from 30 yards forced a full stretch save from Ben Amos.

But in a rare attack the Addicks might have taken the lead on the half time whistle when Ahearne-Grant fired into the side netting from a good position.

Early in the second half Morsy forced another good save from Amos as Latics dominated possession and territory.

The Addicks continued to make it difficult for the home team by defending in depth, slowing the game down and wasting time at every opportunity.

However, on 64 minutes it was Charlton who went close when Ahearne-Grant rounded Christian Walton and Dan Burn had to clear off the line.

Soon afterwards Powell had a great chance to put Latics ahead when his header was narrowly wide of the target with the keeper stranded.

Michael Jacobs then tried his luck from outside the box but Amos saved smartly, before Powell’s free-kick from 30 yards sailed over the crossbar.

Substitute Ivan Toney, Grigg and Powell all had efforts on goal saved by Amos as Latics sought the winner.

But once again Ahearne-Grant broke free and probably should have scored but his attempt went across the goal and out for a throw in.

Latics’ last opportunity came in added time when Morsy’s shot from the edge of the box was deflected onto the post and bounced agonisingly along the goalline and out for a corner.

A frustrating evening at the DW, but overall I’m sure most fans will be very happy with the first half of the season as Latics sit at the top of the table going into 2018.

About ianhaspinall

Communications specialist, Wigan Athletic fan & blogger, interested in music, arts & culture.
This entry was posted in Charlton Athletic, League One, Wigan Athletic and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.