Morsy rescues a point for below par Latics – Gillingham 1 Wigan Athletic 1


Sam Morsy’s late strike saves Latics

A superb 20-yard strike by captain Sam Morsy rescued a point for Wigan Athletic as they toiled to overcome League One strugglers Gillingham at Priestfield.

Latics started briskly and should have have been ahead in the opening half as Max Power, Nathan Byrne, and Michael Jacobs all went close but having failed to capitalise on their chances they paid the penalty in the second half when the Gills went ahead on 54 minutes.

The Gills Sean Clare was allowed plenty of space to cross and Tom Eaves got between the two central defenders to head past Jamie Jones.

The home team had three good chances to seal the victory when Josh Parker, Billy Bingham and Elliott List went close but with eight minutes remaining Morsy curled a superb shot into the top left hand corner to draw the teams level.

Latics might even have won it in the dying minutes with chances for substitutes Gary Roberts and Noel Hunt.

Wigan drop to second in the table behind Shrewsbury although they have a five point cushion over third placed Bradford City.

Paul Cook made one change from the team which had beaten Southend United with Ivan Toney replacing Will Grigg up front.

Latics could have gone ahead in the first minute when Max Power’s shot from outside the box was deflected narrowly wide.

Michael Jacobs then forced a save from Gills keeper Tomas Holy and fired another narrowly wide, while Nathan Byrne had a shot saved at the near post.

Dan Burn headed over from a good position as Latics looked to capitalise on their dominance.

Against the run of play Eaves had a great chance to put The Gills ahead when clean through but a brilliant late challenge by Chey Dunkley saved the day.

All square the the interval but the home team went ahead on 54 minutes when Clare was allowed plenty of space to cross from the right and Eaves headed home between central defenders Dunkley and Burn.

Latics were stunned and The Gills then had three great opportunities to increase their lead firstly when Eaves played Parker in on goal, but the winger shot wide of the target. Then Billy Bingham had his shot well saved by Jones before Elliott List had another chance but saw his effort deflected on to the post by Dunkley.

Having had a reprieve Latics desperately searched for an equaliser and they drew level in the 82nd minute. Nathan Byrne fed Morsy on the edge of the box and the captain came to Latics’ rescue with a curled strike into the top corner of the net.

Substitutes Noel Hunt and Gary Roberts went close late on as Latics searched for the winner, but overall they will be relieved to have gained a point from a match they could so easily have lost.

About ianhaspinall

Communications specialist, Wigan Athletic fan & blogger, interested in music, arts & culture.
This entry was posted in Gillingham, League One, Sam Morsy, Tom Eaves, Wigan Athletic and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.