First defeat compounded by Colclough sending off – Shrewsbury Town 1 Wigan Athletic 0


Another Latics attack is thwarted

Latics suffered their first defeat of the season as Shrewsbury Town moved to the top of League One.

In a closely fought encounter The Shrews edged the three points when Stefan Payne fired home from close range after Latics failed to clear a corner.

There were plenty of chances at both ends but Latics went closest in the second half when Ivan Toney’s diving header came off the outside of the post.

Despite considerable Latics pressure Shrewsbury defended resolutely throughout to inflict a first defeat on Paul Cook’s team.

To make matters worse Ryan Colclough was given a red card for foul and abusive language after the final whistle.

Latics made two changes to the starting line up from the draw against Portsmouth with goalkeeper Jamie Jones replacing the injured Christian Walton and Alex Bruce replacing the suspended Chey Dunkley.

Latics had an early chance when Nick Powell was denied at close quarters by Dean Henderson.

Michael Jacobs then produced a superb solo run taking the ball from the half-way line before hitting his shot into the side-netting.

The Shrews responded and Jones was forced into action to tip Shaun Whalley’s dipping shot onto the crossbar.

The home team then went ahead after 25 minutes when Whalley headed the ball in a crowded box and Payne was quickest to react and fired home from close range.

Powell was posing a threat for Latics and twice went close, first with a 25-yard free-kick, and then with a smart effort from inside the box which was saved by Henderson.

Latics pressed at the beginning of the second half and went close in the 53rd minute when Jacobs went past two defenders and fired across the face of goal but no Latics player was on hand to tap home.

Ivan Toney then almost gave Latics parity when his diving header from Nathan Byrne’s cross beat Henderson but hit the near post and bounced to safety.

Will Grigg and Ryan Colclough replaced Toney and Gavin Massey in the 62nd minute as Latics looked to draw level.

Henderson had to rush off his line to deny Grigg an effort on goal,  then Ben Godfrey got in the way of a goal-bound effort by Evans from the edge of the box.

The injured Nick Powell was replaced by Gary Roberts in the 75th minute as Cook made his last substitution.

Roberts free kick was then well saved by Henderson as Latics continued to push for the equaliser.

But Latics pressure was all to no avail as the Shrews held out to move to the top of the table.

Just to compound Latics misery further Ryan Colclough was dismissed after the final whistle for foul and abusive language.


About ianhaspinall

Communications specialist, Wigan Athletic fan & blogger, interested in music, arts & culture.
This entry was posted in League Cup, Ryan Colclough, Shrewsbury Town, Stefan Payne, Wigan Athletic and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.