Late show keeps Latics in the hunt – Fleetwood Town 1 Wigan Athletic 3

Fleetwood away

Fleetwood’s Highbury Stadium

Two goals in the final seven minutes ensured that Wigan Athletic remain in the hunt for promotion after defeating Fleetwood Town 3-1 at the Highbury Stadium.

After a lacklustre opening Latics took the lead in the 39th minute when Andy Kellett’s effort from the edge of the area evaded Fleetwood keeper Chris Maxwell.

But Latics failed to build on their lead and in the 69th minute Antoni Sarcevic drew Fleetwood level from the penalty spot.

Following the introduction of substitutes Yanic Wildschut and Jordy Hiwula, Latics looked more dangerous going forward and it was Hiwula who converted Wildschut’s blocked shot to regain Wigan the advantage in the 83rd minute.

With 90 minutes on the clock Michael Jacobs sealed the victory when his shot went into the net via the chest of Maxwell following a Wigan breakaway.

Gary Caldwell’s team were unchanged from the win at Barnsley, with Chris McCann and Haris Vuckic replacing Tim Chow and Alex Revell on the substitutes bench.

Neither team gained the upper hand in the opening minutes and Latics struggled to create any clear-cut openings.

In fact the opening 38 minutes were so dire that Andy Kellett’s goal in the 39th minute came almost completely out of the blue.

The diminutive midfielder dispossessed Amari’i Bell on the right hand side and brought the ball forward and unleashed a low effort from the edge of the box which Maxwell was unable to keep out.

Jacobs then stung Maxwell’s hands again two minutes later as Latics looked to increase their lead before the interval.

Will Grigg went close early in the second half when he twice forced saves from Maxwell.

Then a Power corner found Daniels at the far post and Maxwell tipped his header on to the bar, before Jacobs’ attempted an overhead kick but the danger was cleared.

Power then smashed a free-kick against the crossbar as Latics looked to finish off their opponents.

But Latics always looked vulnerable defensively and when Daniels brought down David Ball, Antoni Sarcevic converted the penalty to draw Fleetwood level.

Latics build up play had been far too slow throughout and it was starting to look as though the home team might provide an unlikely victory.

Jaaskelainen made an excellent fingertip save from Ashley Hunter’s shot from the edge of the box, then had to save from Tariqe Fosu as Fleetwood went for the winner.

Wildschut and Hiwula were introduced in the 78th minute in place of Kellett and Reece James.

Wigan’s forward play became more direct and Wildschut almost immediately made an impact.

The Dutch winger found himself free in front of goal following Jacobs’ pass, but he somehow failed to connect. But a minute later the Flying Dutchman cut inside several defenders and powered a low shot which Maxwell was unable to hold and Hiwula pounced to regain Wigan the lead.

Conor McLaughlin had a great opportunity to draw Fleetwood back level but he fired into the side netting.

In the 90th minute Jacobs sealed the points when he was played through by Hiwula and he finished via the chest of Maxwell, much to the delight of the travelling army of Latics’ supporters.

Wigan move up to fifth and Fleetwood drop to 21st in the League One table.

About ianhaspinall

Communications specialist, Wigan Athletic fan & blogger, interested in music, arts & culture.
This entry was posted in Andy Kellett, Fleetwood Town, Jordy Hiwula, League One, Michael Jacobs, Wigan Athletic and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.